Re: build-and-load-etags

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: build-and-load-etags
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 20:21:25 -0600

>>>>> "David" == David L <idht4n@hotmail.com> writes:

David> One more question.  If I wanted the benefit of asynchronous
David> generation of the tags file (ie, not having to wait 30 seconds
David> for a big list of dependencies to be created before my emacs
David> session is active again) is there a way to query the completion
David> status of a compile session so I could start a timer and
David> poll every few seconds for compilation completion?  This
David> would also be useful for functions like compile-and-run or
David> compile-and-debug where you want to wait for compilation
David> to be done before proceeding with the next step (but might
David> want to continue browsing through the code in the mean time).

You could set compilation-finish-function to do something.

Running something to start the debugger when compilation is finished
might have a weird effect -- e.g. it could pop up while you are in the
middle of something else.

FWIW I set compilation-finish-function to play a sound when the
compilation is done (with different noises for success and failure).
Then I just bury the compilation buffer and forget about it.

Tom