Re: How old are Emacs users?

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: How old are Emacs users?
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 23:36:29 +0200

30ish emacs user <kalap.kabat@freemail.hu> writes:

> I'm wondering which age group most Emacs users fall into? How old are
> you? I'm 32.

44

> The older generations were more probable to be exposed to vim or emacs
> first and they "stuck" with it (know the advantages), not migrating to
> graphical editor land.

Not quite I had to take a detour, started with the editor in Norton
Commander (around 1990) and then learned the whole graphical Windows
ballast.  Must have been around 1997 when I started using Emacs under
Windows because I had to edit Mathematica source files with deep
levels of curly braces.  Emacs was the best tool I somehow knew for
finding the wrong braces.

Bit by bit Emacs teached me also the value of Unix tools which I
better got to know with Cygwin and this lead me ultimately in 2000 to
abandon Windows completly at home for GNU/Linux.

I also had a spell with vim, which I admire very much and which is in
a sense even purer than Emacs but I found that Emacs is better (for my
needs) and will stay now with it to the end.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany