Re: Some questions of a newbie

From: Rjjd
Subject: Re: Some questions of a newbie
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 16:26:11 GMT

Cecil Westerhof wrote:
I started using Emacs a week ago. It was always discouraged, but I need to
work with docbook, so I started using it. I wish I had done it sooner.
But there are a few quirks.
I am using 21.3.1.

I like to have the possibility to use the clipboard, so I added the
following to my .emacs:
 (define-key global-map "\C-W" 'clipboard-kill-ring-save)
 (define-key global-map "\C-Y" 'clipboard-yank)

First it seemed to work normal. I use C-w to delete something to the
kill-ring and C-W to copy something to the clipboard. I used C-y to get
something from the kill-ring and C-Y to get something from the clipboard.
But for one reason or another c-w and c-y did not work anymore, so I
disabled it. What could be the reason?

For comment I see that there is sometimes used one, sometimes two and
sometime three ';'. Does this has a reason, or not?

I think there is some convention about classifying comments. I don't know what it is. If you want to publish some elisp code to the community, it would be nice to follow the convention, but the world won't end if you cannot figure it out.

Is there a good way to find which keybindings are used, so a free one can be
coupled to a macro?

describe-bindings
(I found this with apropos bind, i.e. ESC-x apropos RET bind RET)

In my .emacs I have:
  (setq ediff-use-toolbar-p nil)

But the toolbar is still displayed. What am I doing wrong?

When you see the toolbar displayed, what is the value of ediff-use-toolbar-p? It could be that loading ediff sets it back to t or somesuch. (I'm on Windows, and I don't have ediff-use-toolbar-p.)

I added org-mode and nxml-mode.
The first uses:
  (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org$" . org-mode))
the second uses:
  (setq auto-mode-alist
    (cons '("\\.\\(xml\\|xsl\\|rng\\|xhtml\\)\\'" . nxml-mode)
      auto-mode-alist))

Is there a reason for this, or is it just what the creator liked? If the
second is the reason, then I prefer the first way and will change the way
of nxml.

The first notation lists one file extension.  I'm not sure why it has a "$".
The second notation lists four different file extensions, any one of which is for nxml-mode.