Re: xdisaster

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: xdisaster
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 10:13:34 +0200

David has explained what to do, I would like to explain why Emacs
behaves like this.

After M-x shell RET you are NOT in a terminal-like buffer.  (Use M-x
term RET for that.)  The advantage of a *shell* buffer is that you can
move around in it using the normal Emacs motion commands, you can copy
text from it, you can edit the text in it, and so on.

Besides the options mentioned by David, another one is to set the
environment variable $PAGER to cat.  Then the complete man page will be
printed into the *shell* buffer, for your perusal using normal Emacs
motion commands.

In your shell init files you can examine the environment variable
$TERM to see whether you are in shell-mode in Emacs, if you would like
to set $PAGER differently for this case.

Kai