Re: How to redefine Parantheses?

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: How to redefine Parantheses?
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 10:58:35 +0200

* Eli Zaretskii (2007-04-09) writes:

>> From: Ralf Angeli <dev.null@caeruleus.net>
>> Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 23:15:23 +0200

>> > ????
>>
>> Well, the default syntax is obviously wrong since you cannot rely on
>> guillemets being used parenthetical in a certain order.
>
> In many (most?) languages, the current syntax does make sense.

I just looked at the csquotes LaTeX package which deals with quotation
marks in different languages.  The author made a survey about the use
of quotation marks in different languages when he implemented the
package.  Here are results of using it with different language

»danish«
« french »
»german«
«german (swiss variant)»
«italian»

So there is no clear indication of which variant is more common.  In
Swedish guillemets aren't even used parenthetical.  I really don't
understand why the default syntax in Emacs is paren syntax.
Guillemets are quotation marks which are not consistently used in a
parenthetical way, so using paren syntax is clearly a bug.  And I
don't understand why one does not simply give them punctuation syntax
in order to get rid of the bug and stop this issue from popping up
again and again.

> Anyway, this kind of discussion doesn't belong here.  I just tried to
> help the OP to solve the immediate problem.

Well, I tried so too.  But I don't think is a customization issue but
a bug in Emacs.

--
Ralf