Re: "source" shell commands

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: "source" shell commands
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 10:16:47 +0200

Am 26.03.2007 um 02:44 schrieb Matthew Flaschen:

I moved ~/.bashrc to ~/.bash_profile . I primarily use zsh , so I don't
want to use generic profile.

What is your login shell? Is the shell you work in different from your login shell? Can you prepare your login shell to have an environment that contains, just after the moment in which you've input your password, all valuable and necessary environment variables?

Should I source ~/.rc in ~/.profile instead?
No. Keep it simple, let bash do its job right.

That's not desirable, because ~/.rc is supposed to be usable by multiple
shells.

OK. Can distinguish between interactive and non-interactive goodies? I mean: has the shell interpreter, that executes a shell script, to know all the shell functions and shell aliases you need for your more or less interactive doing?

--
Greetings

  Pete

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck
is the day they start selling vacuum cleaners.
                                    Ernest Jan Plugge