Re: How do I find docs for a given library? (minor mode?)

From: jmg3000
Subject: Re: How do I find docs for a given library? (minor mode?)
Date: 23 Mar 2007 07:29:19 -0700

On Mar 23, 9:37 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: jmg3...@gmail.com
> > Date: 22 Mar 2007 10:08:05 -0700
>
> > > Another possibility is to look up the documentation in the Info
> > > manuals: "C-h F COMMAND RET", where COMMAND is some command from the
> > > library you load.
>
> > I get to the GNU Emacs FAQ with `C-h F'
>
> So you have Emacs 21.x (please always say in the future what version
> you are using), where you should type "C-h C-f COMMAND RET" instead.

Whoops. Sorry. (21.4 is what you currently get on Debian Etch with an
`apt-get install emacs'.)

> > Also, incidentally (though I don't think it's directly related to your
> > suggestion), this is on Debian Etch, and the Emacs manual is
> > conspicuously missing...
>
> If the manual is missing, then "C-h C-f" will not work, but I suggest
> to try that anyway, in case the manual is hiding in some place where
> only Emacs can find it.

Ah, ok. It looks like that would work if the manual were there (and if
I knew ahead of time what command I wanted docs on). Instead, the
minibuffer tells me:

| Info file emacs does not exist

BTW, after searching around, I think this ``missing Emacs manual on
Debian'' issue has already been discussed, and seems to actually have
been done on purpose due to the DFSG having a problem with the GFDL.

Thanks Eli. Perhaps it may be that it's not immediately useful to be
able to ``list all functions'' in a library, as some of them may not
even be directly useful to a user while editing. I'll stick with
finder-commentary, which looks very handy.

Thanks,
---John