Re: replacing characters and whacky trans-buffer conversion

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: replacing characters and whacky trans-buffer conversion
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 14:14:05 +0100

Am 09.03.2007 um 11:15 schrieb ken:

"Replace goofy MS and other garbage characters with latin1 equivalents."

I wouldn't recommend to do so! You can easily open such a file in some MS Windows encoding, enter a SPC, save in some ISO Latin, and remove the SPC (I think one change is needed to make GNU Emacs save a file, because: what's the sense in saving a safe file?). Don't forget to save again ...

If you have more of such files you can use recode or iconv to convert them to some ISO Latin. Or: you can use Samba to present all MS Windows files in ISO Latin ... (a mount option)

--
Greetings

  Pete

"If you don't find it in the index, look very carefully through the entire catalogue." – Sears, Roebuck, and Co., Consumer's Guide, 1897