Re: Aquamacs and html-helper-mode

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Aquamacs and html-helper-mode
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 15:59:30 +0100

Gian Uberto Lauri wrote:
"sm" == srdjan m <srdjan.marinovic@gmail.com> writes:

sm> Hi,
What exactly means "doesn't work" ?

sm> e.g.  ...  <html> ...  <body> ...  When I press TAB key with
sm> cursor, when it is in front of <body> nothing happens. The tag
sm> doesn't get indented.  Also wherever I press TAB key no
sm> indentation happens.

Oh, it works fine, then. But it's workings doesn't suite your taste.

A solution could be to replace the indentation engine with that of FSF
html mode.

html-helper-mode developement  is a bit  halted. The main  feature was
painting in a special color  "server side scripts" of JSP/PHP and ASP,
but the kluge  once developed stopped to work  with the latest Emacsen
and their fine jit font-lock engine and a solution was not found.

Maybe I should say that nxhtml-mode (see http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/NxhtmlModea) might be an alternative too. However it requires Emacs 22 (stable, but in pretest yet) and it is for XHTML.

This is helpful in a different way than html-helper-mode. nxhtml-mode knows about the XHTML syntax and can do completion.

I have seen a rather low interest in this counted in the number of downloads. Maybe it is too high-tech? (Not my part, but nxml-mode, which it is based on ;-) .) Maybe it is because of missing features? I would be interested to know.

Strangely enough I have seen a little bit bigger interest from Asian countries.