Re: I can't visualize any file in the Emacs

From: Eric Hanchrow
Subject: Re: I can't visualize any file in the Emacs
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 09:23:33 -0800

    Amanda> I only can see small squares where it would have to
    Amanda> be chars (letters, numbers, etc).

>From the file .../etc/PROBLEMS:

    ** Under X11, some characters appear as hollow boxes.

    Each X11 font covers just a fraction of the characters that Emacs
    supports.  To display the whole range of Emacs characters requires
    many different fonts, collected into a fontset.

    If some of the fonts called for in your fontset do not exist on your X
    server, then the characters that have no font appear as hollow boxes.
    You can remedy the problem by installing additional fonts.

    The intlfonts distribution includes a full spectrum of fonts that can
    display all the characters Emacs supports.  The etl-unicode collection
    of fonts (available from <URL:ftp://ftp.x.org/contrib/fonts/> and
    <URL:ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/mirror/X.Org/contrib/fonts/>) includes
    fonts that can display many Unicode characters; they can also be used
    by ps-print and ps-mule to print Unicode characters.

    Another cause of this for specific characters is fonts which have a
    missing glyph and no default character.  This is known to occur for
    character number 160 (no-break space) in some fonts, such as Lucida
    but Emacs sets the display table for the unibyte and Latin-1 version
    of this character to display a space.

--
I think that novels that leave out technology misrepresent
life as badly as Victorians misrepresented life by leaving out