Re: Putting all backup (tilde) files in one directory using xemacs 21.4p

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Putting all backup (tilde) files in one directory using xemacs 21.4p6
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 22:42:19 -0700

Robert Thorpe wrote:
Kelly Jones wrote:
Using xemacs 21.4p6, how do I put all backup (tilde) files into a
single directory, instead of having them saved to the same directory
as the original file?

This newsgroup is for discussion of GNU Emacs, not XEmacs. Try
comp.emacs.xemacs to get people who know about XEmacs.

Indeed.  Or upgrade to Emacs, preferably version 22.  :-)

That said, I think your problem is that the regexp you've used is just
"." which matches one single letter of any kind, what you probably want
is ".*" which matches a string composed of letters on any kind.

Uh, no. "." matches any character except newline; ".*" matches zero or
more such characters.  For the purpose of matching any non-nil value of
buffer-file-name, they're effectively equivalent.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA