Re: Emacs 'destroys' latex files

From: Pseudo
Subject: Re: Emacs 'destroys' latex files
Date: 17 Jan 2007 01:53:19 -0800

Thank you all for your suggestions! To answer some questions.

1) emacs -q               produces the strange behaviour
2) emacs -q -no-site-file does not.   If  I understand Maarten right,
this points to a system-wide customization
3) I should mention that before 'destroying' my actual working file,
emacs asks for the coding system, suggesting (default x-ctext).
Normally, emacs suggests something intelligent, so I just hit enter.
Maybe I thereby 'ask' emacs to destroy my file ...
4) The 5-line test file we were discussing is *not* being altered but
only visualised strangely: first appearance is Å the second is \AA
(characters backslash, A, A in verbatim). Note that Emacs does not ask
for a coding system with the test file..
5) in *Messages* we find indeed x-symbol (2nd last line) as David
guessed. How do I stop x-symbol from being run ?

Thank you very much!

Applying style hooks... done
Sorting environment...
Removing duplicates... done
Starting new Ispell process...
Automatic display of crossref information was turned on
Applying style hooks... done