Re: Emacs 'destroys' latex files

From: Maarten Bergvelt
Subject: Re: Emacs 'destroys' latex files
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 18:55:31 +0000 (UTC)

In article <1168972738.843874.79670@l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Pseudo wrote:
> Dear Maarten,
>
> Thank you for your reply. In fact, my emacs does not seem to know
> latex-preview. I used the testfile you suggest
>
>> \documentclass{amsart}
>>    \renewcommand{\AA}{\mathbb A}
>>  \begin{document}
>> \[
>> \AA
>> \]
>> \end{document}
>
> it produces the following behaviour: the \AA inside the document
> environment is visible as \AA, the first one in the header is displayed
> in this strange form A with an o on its head.

What do mean: "is visible as \AA", which definition of \AA?
What do you mean "first one in the header"? What header? I have no
clue what you are talking about here....

> Is there a 'logging' system in emacs that tells me what modules, parts,
> whatsoever are run when opening a document? That would be a hint where
> to search for my problem ...

look in the *Messages* buffer. Look also what modes are active:
 M-x help[ret]m

> Here is my .emacs file. Its mainly a collection of things I found
> somewhere. And: on a much older version of debian / emacs it worked
> quite well. Hope posting all these lines helps in understanding what I
> messed up.
> At least I don't see any strange parts in it.

The thing to do is first start emacs without customization:

emacs -q latextest.tex

Do you see the strange behaviour? If yes, then there is some
systemwide customization, but I doubt that.

If no, then copy .emacs to .emacsold and start hacking on .emacs.

--
Maarten Bergvelt
Mathematics Department, University of Illinois