Re: hide-show mode: unbalanced parentheses

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: hide-show mode: unbalanced parentheses
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 00:10:37 -0500

> hs-hide-all (in hs-minor-mode, a "hide-show" mode) gets stuck
> with "unbalanced parentheses" in my latex source.

Try M-x report-emacs-bug.  Maybe this can fail more gracefully.

> Some unbalanced
> parens and brackets are necessary.  For example,
>    \@ifnextchar [{\@tauZero}{\tau_{\!\!o}}
> Notice the unmatched "[" .  Or, you sometimes write
> "1) blah blah; 2) blah blah; . . . ."
> Is there any fix?

You can probably try and fool hs-minor-mode by adding dummy matching chars
(typically wrapped in some ad-hoc command, such as \ignore{[} where \ignore
is defined as a nop that takes an arg and throws it away).
Kind of ugly, tho.  Sadly, LaTeX is inherently non-structured, although it
happens to be properly structured in 99% of the cases.

> Or is there any alternative to hs-minor-mode?  I could imagine that
> folding is possible on the basis of sectioning commands like "\section".

You may want to try outline-minor-mode for that.

        Stefan