Re: `woman' can't be used outside emacs?

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: `woman' can't be used outside emacs?
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 13:35:22 +0100

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

>> Emacs tries to do almost everything when it is possible.
>> I can't understand why it does this way.

> To some extent, with virtual consoles, window managers with virtual
> desktops and the increased sophistication of many apps, it can be
> harder to justify using emacs for everything. However, I like the

No it isn't harder to justify, in my opinion.  Since Windows 3.1 I was
used to open more and more applications in parallel.  Since working
with Emacs (which made me to adapt to Gnu/Linux in private) I'm in the
process to replace more and more file managers, terminals and what not
with Emacs "applications".

> The other thing is that once you get to know elisp, extending or
> changing emacs' functionality is so easy, its just simpler to do it in
> emacs than actually develop something else - especially as often the
> most boring and time consuming part of creating a new app or bit of
> functionality is the interface and with emacs, most of this is already
> done. I even know people that use emacs as their window manager under
> X - instead of an exec fvwm (or whatever) in their .xsession file,

I'd love doing this but my font size of the virtual consoles is too
big.

> they have an exec emacs. As a blind user, I use a package called
> emacspeak, which provides sophisticated speech feedback that allows me

Are you completely blind?  So that the emails must be read for you by
emacsspeak?  Then the usual way of "citing" (including snippets of
older mails) in mailing lists must be very disturbing for your hearing
experience.  How are you dealing with this and quotations and acronyms
and capitalization and ...?

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm