Re: ange-ftp problem

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: ange-ftp problem
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 09:04:50 -0600

"B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@alcisp.com> wrote in message
news:8b1d1$4587723b$49f11be$14990@DIALUPUSA.NET...

> "Lennart Borgman" <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> wrote in message

[...]

> > I have never been able to make the ftp.exe that comes with MS Windows
> > (you are using that aren't you?) to work with Emacs. See
> >
> >    http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/AngeFtp
> >

> I can get this ftp.exe  from the emacswiki to work in a dos window but
not
> through Emacs.  I read:
>
> 331 User myusername okay, need password.
>
> But this is not really correct since my user name itself needs an @ sign
> in it and this interferes with the parsing of the entire argument to C-x
> C-f , including a second @ sign after the user name.
> Is there some way around this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Ed

Thanks, all. By running custom on a couple of ange-ftp settings I was able
to access the webspace through Emacs:

 '(ange-ftp-default-password "password")
 '(ange-ftp-default-user "username@isp.com")

I don't like the password in plaintext even in .emacs but I suppose that
line could be taken out and I would be prompted for the password
interactively.

Of course rtfm is always excellent advice as long as we don't require that
the user first know as much about Emacs as RMS does before she dares to
ask a question.

I assume that Tramp has something to do with remote file transfer. I've
head the term before but I didn't ask about that. I just wanted to use ftp
through Emacs instead of having to go through WS_FTP and now I can (on
msw98 - Emacs 21.3, no less). Apparently the ftp.exe distributed with
mswin was at fault.