Re: modeline colors

From: Eli Barzilay
Subject: Re: modeline colors
Date: 02 Dec 2006 23:26:58 -0500

Eli Barzilay <eli@barzilay.org> writes:

> > Does anyone know why in some versions of Emacs (specifically, the one
> > shipped with FC6: 21.4.1), changing the default background disables
> > my modeline color setting?
> >
> > If I put this (and only this) in my .emacs:
> >
> >   (set-face-background 'modeline "red")
> >   (set-face-background 'default "blue4")
> >
> > I get a modeline with the default color.  After Emacs has already
> > started, evaluating that first line again produces the expected
> > result.  Is this some corner case bug?
>
> FWIW, the problem disappeared.  I think that something was broken on a
> low level, perhaps even something in X.

And just in case someone will care about this -- it turned out that
the problem goes away if I "xrdb -load .Xdefault" after the Gnome
session starts.  To clarify: my .Xdefaults does not touch the modeline
etc.  (And even if it does, the two expressions should set the colors
regardless of my .Xdefaults.)