Re: cvs best practise

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: cvs best practise
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 01:34:06 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>> From: Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de>
>> Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 07:52:38 +0100

>> > rewritten, and the node's name is "Windows processes".
>>
>> That's right, but still nowhere mentioned w32-shell-execute.
>
> I didn't think it was so important at the time I rewrote the Windows
> sections of the manual.  I might add it now, but it's still unclear to
> me how it would have helped you if it were there.  Did you search the
> manual and the doc strings when you were looking for a solution to
> your problem, and if you did, what did you search for, i.e. what
> search strings and/or regexps did you use for the search?

I had a problem with start-process under Windows so I thought the most
pertinent information would be (emacs)Windows Processes.  I think it
would be helpful to mention that there are a hive of w32-.* helper
functions.  (Which, by the way, are not seen with C-h f under Linux).
There's only mentioned that asynchronous processes should work, mine
did not, so I gave up searching for more information in the manual.

>> I'd like to send a patch for this help file with one sentence or so
>> added.
>
> There's no need, I will add the necessary docs if I understand how it
> would have helped you.

I know 8-), I just wanted to touch my pristine source tree for the
first time and feel the the consequences.

>> What I'd like to know is how you guys are handling a changed version
>> of the Emacs source tree?  If I changed this particular info file I'd
>> get in trouble when updating the sources.  Am I supposed to merge my
>> personally changed files every time I'll do an update or is it better
>> to have a totally independent second Emacs tree for ones pet changes?
>
> CVS will merge files for you automagically.

Sounds so easy! I'll give it a try, thanks

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany