Re: two more emacs questions

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: two more emacs questions
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 10:37:05 +0100

"vb" <vb@vsbe.com> writes:

> well, that's the thing - I am a user, not a computer, I don't care
> if typing keys changes the buffer or not. As a user I expect the
> undo sequence to exactly follow my actions in the reverse order. I
> just checked - even MS Word does this (brings back the highlight in
> the undo stream).

One could argue the same about cursor movements, that they should be
undoable, but they are not, neither in Emacs nor MS Word. In Emacs
though, it is quite possible to implement. To some extent C-u C-SPC is
a good workaround for this "limitation".

Personally I have never seen the need for undoing highlighted
text. And the highlight you mention Word handles undo of is not the
"mark hilight" on marked text.

Anyway, nice that you have try out Emacs, you might find, after some
time, that it is superior to all other text editors... :)