Re: Is it possible to use emacsclient as the Gnome system editor?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Is it possible to use emacsclient as the Gnome system editor?
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 14:59:23 +0100

Steinar Bang wrote:
Platform: Intel Pentium M, Ubuntu Dapper,
          Gnome desktop (2.14.3-0ubuntu1)
          emacs21 21.4a-3ubuntu2

I'm trying to use emacsclient, instead of gedit, as the default Gnome
text editor.

Googling found me this howto:

But this requires that there is a .desktop entry for the replacement
editor.  On my system there is an emacs21.desktop.  But using that
would fire up a new emacs for each file opened, and that's not what I
want.
So what I wonder is: is it possible to create an emacsclient.desktop
entry?  Or is desktop entry for emacsclient a meaningless concept?

Basically: Is it possible to use emacsclient as the Gnome system
editor?

Basically: yes. However with the current emacsclient you have to start emacs first. There has currently been a discussion on the emacs devel list where I have tried to argue that in Emacs 22 emacsclient should be able to automatically start emacs when needed. I think most people there would agree it is a good (but for many not very important) thing. However it does not seem that it will make it into Emacs 22.

I have this working on MS Windows at the moment, but I am not sure the code is working on GNU/Linux. Testers are welcome.