Re: Whole word line truncation

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: Whole word line truncation
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 11:31:59 -0600

<tim_milstead@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
1163774030.103345.261840@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com">news:1163774030.103345.261840@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Please note that this is semi related to me other post on smart
> indenting but sufficiently different to make it work putting in as
> separate subject...
>
> Is there a way to make emacs line truncation work at word rather than
> character boundaries? In other words I'd like to wrap lines without
> breaking words.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim.

With line continuation (i.e. no autofill), lines break after character
just to the left of the fringe. With truncation, all characters to the
right of the fringe are invisible. If you don't want to get into
long-lines.el then you can just turn on autofill with a width between
about 150-170 characters (depending on screen geometry,  frame size, font
type and size). Lines break at words whenever autofill is on.

e.g. C-u 160 C-x f
;; experiment with C-u argument if you really think you need your lines to
go all the way to the fringe.
M-q
or
M-x auto-fill-mode