Re: current directory

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: current directory
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 23:47:23 +0200

vb <help-gnu-emacs@vsbe.com> writes:

> Let me ask you about another feature I am missing in emacs and which seems a
> bit more involved to implement myself: maintaining current setup over
> restarts. Say I quit emacs with several files open, each in its own window,
> at certain location in a file. Then I quit the session, do some other editing
> in a different directory tree, and then I come back to start emacs in the
> original directory. It comes up and shows me all those files in all those
> windows exactly the way they were when I quit the original editing session.
>
> Kind of a 'lightweight project management' feature - is it available?

Yes, of course, please have a look at "Saving Emacs Sessions" in the
GNU Emacs Manual.  But I do not use these features myself.  OK, at
first I was also thinking: Why the heck is there nothing like
"recently opened files" etc. in Emacs.  But after a while I used Emacs
in another more efficient way.  I just never close Emacs and opened
files between reboots.

> Guys, I really appreciate everybody's comments and replies. Sometimes when
> there is a newcomer bitching about the list topic the tensions get quite high
> - it's good to see that here we can have a dialog even though I am not quite
> completely charmed by emacs :-)

That is OK, otherwise the list wouldn't have the fun to convert an
unbeliever ;-).

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm