Re: new member

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: new member
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 08:09:54 -0500

"minidiapolis" <minidiapolis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
1160015257.268170.235270@c28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com">news:1160015257.268170.235270@c28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Hello, I don't know if I'm in the right group.  I'm a relatively new
> user to Emacs and I was wondering how I would do a search and have it
> delete the specific text.  if someone could help me out, I would really
> appreciate it.  Thanks, Mindy

Pascal has already given you the most general solution to your problem,
but if you don't want to get into regular expressions yet and if you
haven't changed the default, out-of-the-box key assignments, then just do:

M-< (press Alt-Shift-< at the same time to go to beginning of buffer)
M-% (press Alt-Shift-% at the same time) and see
Query Replace: [Here type the text to be deleted]
Query Replace [text] with: [Here press Return (Enter)]
Press space bar at every instance of [text] to be deleted and N for those
instances to be retained.
If after deleting a few instances you are sure you want to delete all the
rest, just press Shift-!

Ed