Re: no color syntax highlighting in emacs over SSH

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: no color syntax highlighting in emacs over SSH
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 00:57:15 +0000 (UTC)

DeeplyPipelined
<ajitkarthik@gmail.com>], who wrote in article
<mailman.7601.1159564973.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>:

> Yes, font locking is turned on because I can see formatted fonts in emacs
> (bold, underline), but no color. Also, I am able to get color when I use
> emacs in an X window over ssh (using ssh -X), but I am not able to get
> coloration when I use emacs in  the non-X (TTY) mode.

Your TERM is understood as non-color XTERM.  Set TERM on remote
machine to a color-capable XTERM (may be tricky on Solaris, it has
horrible terminfo database...).

If this fails, you may need to use a custom TERMINFO database.  Get it
from some saner OS, and set $TERMINFO accordingly.  [This assumes that
your Emacs groks TERMINFO.  Do not know whether Solaris builds are
smart enough...]

Hope this helps,
Ilya