Indentation varies for .cc and .cpp

From: Eric Lilja
Subject: Indentation varies for .cc and .cpp
Date: 27 Sep 2006 00:39:59 -0700

Hello, I'm trying to construct .emacs-file to be used in a course. The
emacs version in question is 21.4.1. I haven't written the original
.emacs file but I've made a few changes to it based on student input.
The course is a C++ course and some of the student use .cc to denote to
C++ files, some use .cpp. We want placement of {} to be aligned with
their opening clause:
if(some_condition)
{
   // code here
}

for(...)
{
   // code here
}

etc...emacs does this for files ending in .cpp, but for files ending in
.cc it indents the {} themselves so we get
if(some_condition)
   {
      // code
   }
Why and how do I change this behaviour?

Here's the .emacs-file:

(setq default-major-mode 'text-mode)
(setq require-final-newline 1)
(setq inhibit-startup-message t)
(put 'downcase-region 'disabled nil)

(setq version-control t)
(setq backup-by-copying t)
(setq backup-by-copying-when-linked t)
(setq backup-by-copying-when-mismatch t)
(setq kept-new-versions 99)
(setq kept-old-versions 0)
(setq delete-auto-save-files t)
(setq trim-versions-without-asking t)
(global-set-key "\C-X\C-s"
                                '(lambda () (interactive) (save-buffer 16)))

(global-font-lock-mode t)
(setq font-lock-maximum-decoration t)

(set-language-environment "Latin-1")
(set-terminal-coding-system 'latin-1)

(setq scroll-bar-mode-explicit t)
(set-scroll-bar-mode 'right)

(set-background-color "White")
(set-foreground-color "Black")
(set-cursor-color     "Black")

(custom-set-variables)
(custom-set-faces
 '(font-lock-comment-face ((((class color) (background light))
                                                        (:italic t :foreground
"Firebrick"))))
 '(font-lock-function-name-face ((((class color) (background light))
                                                                  (:bold t
:foreground "Blue"))))
 '(font-lock-keyword-face ((((class color) (background light))
                                                        (:bold t :foreground
"Black"))))
 '(font-lock-string-face ((((class color) (background light))
                                                   (:italic t :foreground
"ForestGreen"))))
 '(font-lock-type-face ((((class color) (background light))
                                                 (:foreground "Blue"))))
 '(font-lock-variable-name-face ((((class color) (background light))
                                                                  (:foreground
"Black"))))
 '(font-lock-reference-face ((((class color) (background light))
                                                          (:foreground
"ForestGreen")))))

(transient-mark-mode t)

(show-paren-mode 1)

(setq next-line-add-newlines nil)
(setq line-number-mode t)
(setq column-number-mode t)
(setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil)
(setq c-basic-offset 3)
(setq display-time-day-and-date t)
(setq display-time-24hr-format t)
(display-time)

(if (eq window-system 'x)
    (pc-selection-mode))

(if (string-match "^21" emacs-version)
        (progn
          (tool-bar-mode -1)
          (blink-cursor-mode -1)))

(setq foo (global-key-binding "\C-m"))
(global-set-key "\C-m" (global-key-binding "\C-j"))
(global-set-key "\C-j" foo)

(global-set-key [f4] 'menu-bar-mode)

(global-set-key [f5] 'toggle-truncate-lines)

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.h$" . c++-mode))

;;(setq c-default-style "stroustrup")

(setq c-default-style "ellemtel")

I stripped out comments in swedish manually so they don't distract,
hope I didn't remove any non-comments by mistake (a command to that
gratefully accepted).

/ E