Re: DNS problem

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: DNS problem
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 01:08:58 -0400

In article <mailman.7391.1159211762.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu.org> wrote:

>   On Saturday, 23 September 2006, William Xu wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > If DNS doesn't work before starting emacs, and after startup, i fix DNS
> > problem. Then i find emacs still has DNS problem, e.g., it couldn't
> > connect irc (using erc) or newsgroups by hostname. I restarted emacs, it
> > works. Is this normal?
>
> That's a known "issue" (not to say bug) with the libc resolver. I

By default, the resolver only reads /etc/resolv.conf the first time it's
used in a process, and it caches the settings from then on.  So any
long-lived processes always need to be restarted if you change this file
and you want them to pick up the changes.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA