Re: Installing mew (editing Makefile.in)

From: ken
Subject: Re: Installing mew (editing Makefile.in)
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 21:39:14 -0400

Miles Bader wrote:
> On 9/14/06, ken <gebser@speakeasy.net> wrote:

> Er, well, they almost always have reasonable defaults.  If you don't
> know what the value should be, why not just let it pick whatever it
> picks?  It will always be something underneath the prefix you specify,
> e.g., if you use --prefix=$HOME/linux, it will usually put executables
> in $HOME/linux/bin, typical lisp files in
> $HOME/linux/share/emacs/site-lisp, etc.

When working with computers, I guess I much prefer a rational
approach... sort of averse to wingin' it.

> Now that I look at your message again, it sounds like you never
> actually installed Emacs, and are running it out of the build
> directory.  ....

Peter mentioned a similar concern.  See my reply to him.

> I suspect the right thing to do is specify a prefix like $HOME/linux,
> and then if emacs isn't looking there, just add the resulting
> site-lisp directory to the load-path variable in your .emacs file.

Or I could "C-h v load-path", see where emacs thinks site-lisp is, and
then just move the files there.  Seems cleaner to me.

Speaking of clean and load-path, where's the best place to trim out some
of the (too many and unused) directories listed in load-path?

Thanks for all the tips,
ken

PS.  I remember now that long ago there wasn't a configure script... you
just edited the Makefile to configure the variable for compiling.  I
guess some of those old brain cells woke up at the wrong time.

--
One is not superior merely because one
sees the world as odious.