reproducing the crash

From: Robert McDonald
Subject: reproducing the crash
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 19:26:05 GMT

Robert McDonald wrote:
<snip>

every now and then there is a crash when I invoke an external program such as LaTeX or BibTeX.

I have narrowed down the circumstances in which there is a crash. All of the following steps are taken by invoking menu items (from setq-command-list). In particular, I am not using the AucTeX C-c C-c. In limited testing that does *not* seem to cause the problem below.

1. LaTeX the current file. (Any file seems to work, but a specific example is at the end of this message.)

2. Invoke the previewer.

3. Return to emacs and edit the file (for example, insert a space after the word "file" in the sample below).

4. LaTeX the file without first saving the file.

5. Respond "yes" when emacs asks whether to save the current file.

6. Invoke the previewer again.

7. If there is no crash, return to step 3 and continue.

This always crashes for me within two or three invocations of Yap.

At one point I got this crash error message:

The instruction at "0x7c910f29" referenced memory at "0x00080191". The memory could not be "read". Then I again get the Error 109, etc.

Here is the test latex file:

\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}
Here is a test file