Re: Making ESC not a prefix key while keeping Alt = Meta

From: Yevgeniy Makarov
Subject: Re: Making ESC not a prefix key while keeping Alt = Meta
Date: 9 Sep 2006 18:24:54 -0700

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> (global-set-key "\0" (global-key-binding "\e"))
> (setq meta-prefix-char ?\0)
> (global-unset-key "\e")

This indeed disassociates ESC from Alt; however, ESC remains a prefix
key. For example, when I press ESC, Emacs waits a little and then
displays "ESC-" in the minibuffer, waiting for the second key in the
sequence. A similar thing happens when I press C-h ESC (describe key
briefly).

When I say

(global-set-key "\e" 'keyboard-quit)

this indeed puts keyboard-quit function in the global-keymap where
ESC-prefix used to be. However, ESC does not become a synonym for C-g:
for example, when I do C-x C-f (find file), I can't terminate input
using ESC.

Yevgeniy