Lock buffer to window

From: henning
Subject: Lock buffer to window
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 00:16:53 -0700 (PDT)

When using dired or rdired (from ESS) I sometimes want to keep a buffer in a
certain window. However, commands such as e.g. 'man' might change the buffer
in that window. Is there a way to dedicate a window to a particular buffer
so that that window becomes invisible to commands that request a window for
showing output? calculator is another such example where I obviously dont
want the man page to show up in the tiny window created by the calculator
command.

Thanks for any tips,

Henning