gnu/emacs 2.4 in and out of X

From: address@hidden
Subject: gnu/emacs 2.4 in and out of X
Date: 28 Aug 2006 18:12:44 -0700

Hi group. I've been having an interesting problem, for me anyway. I'm
using emacs in Slackware 10.2 with the 2.6.16.27 kernel. One of the
languages I like to play with is Esperanto. It uses the iso-8895-3 font
set. I finally got characters to display correctly at my terminal
console outside of X. The only thing I need to do is start an
iso-8859-3 terminal for things to work correctly. My language
environment is UTF-8, and I use the Esperanto Post-fix input method.
When I go into X and start Emacs, things work fine until I try to
actually display or enter Esperanto characters. When I do that, I can
no longer see earlier text correctly. In other words the Esperanto
characters are anything but text while ascii type text is normal. I can
stop and restart Emacs to no avail. I leave X and start emacs, and it
retains the same condition as when I was in X. In the end I have to
reboot to get things back the way I want them. I was under the
assumption that gnu/emacs was supposed to work the same for the most
part in a no X environment as with X. I tried starting emacs
-21.4-no-X11 (emacs -nox) in X, and it still didn't work. So my
question is this what is happening? What is hijacking emacs? If I knew,
I might be able to stop that process. Do I need to set something
special in my Bash shell to help emacs in X. Thanks -- Douglas