Re: Saving/Recalling Shell Commands History?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Saving/Recalling Shell Commands History?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 01:13:04 +0200

Am 21.08.2006 um 23:32 schrieb Kevin Rodgers:

So leave it commented out, and put this in your ~/.emacs file:

(add-hook 'shell-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (setq comint-input-ring-file-name ; buffer-local
                  (expand-file-name "history" desktop-dirname))))

The code above works, but it only works for GNU Emacs. The shell never gets knowledge of this!

I think the meaning of comint-input-ring-file-name is to let GNU Emacs know directly, for whatever reason or use, what the shell's history file is. Maybe it's useful in dumb shells that cannot provide their own history, maybe it's useful in TRAMP, i.e. working in a remote shell.

For my purpose I extended your hook to make the shell know where the actual history file of the Emacs *shell* buffer is. Since I want to separate the different Emacs versions I am using I have created an intermediate and temporary file, ~/.emacs_tcsh-init, which contains a line that tells the shell which file to use for a history. For tcsh the file ~/.emacs_tcsh is executed in *shell* buffer. So ~/.emacs_tcsh needs to be extended by one line that loads the intermediate file – and removes it!

Here is my extended hook:

        (add-hook 'shell-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (setq comint-input-ring-file-name
                  (expand-file-name "history" desktop-dirname))
            (setq histfile_cmd (format
                            "echo \"set histfile = %s\" > .emacs_tcsh-init"
                            comint-input-ring-file-name))
            (shell-command histfile_cmd)
        ))

~/.emacs_tcsh-init will have a line like:

        set histfile = <some path name>

The extended version of ~/.emacs_tcsh has two more lines:

        sleep 1
if (-e ~/.emacs_tcsh-init) source ~/.emacs_tcsh-init && rm ~/.emacs_tcsh-init

The sleep is needed, otherwise the file's removal fails with an error message in *shell*. One cannot feel this one more second in GNU Emacs's start-up.

For bash the history file is addressed by the environment variable $HISTFILE. It's probably OK to use the syntax

        HISTFILE=<some path name>

without 'export.' The syntax for the ~/.emacs_bash file would be:

if [ -e ~/.emacs_bash-init ]; then . ~/.emacs_bash-init && rm ~/.emacs_bash-init; fi

There is one more disadvantage: an empty buffer *Shell Command Output* is created because of executing (shell-command histfile_cmd) ... Could be a kill-buffer in the hook removes it!

--
Greetings

  Pete

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck
is the day they start selling vacuum cleaners.
                                    Ernest Jan Plugge