Re: What's wrong with this elisp code?

From: ken
Subject: Re: What's wrong with this elisp code?
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 15:39:21 -0400

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 04.08.2006 um 12:56 schrieb ken:
>
>> This is the only instance of "(defvar diary-entries-list)" in the entire
>> subdirectory.  Could this variable be declared some other way, other
>> than an explicit "defvar"?
>
> No, there is without any clause a defvar instance in diary-lib.el.

I'm glad computers can do text searches.  Otherwise I'd be thinking
myself crazy.  After reading through diary-lib.el several times, I just
searched for "defvar diary-entries-list" and this computer agrees with
my eyes and brain-- it's not there.  I'm using emacs version 2.3.1.

Is there some other way that this variable could be defined other than
with defvar?

>> Another person who responded said he's thinking that this variable is
>> only declared within functions, so not available for my use.
>
> I can't tell. I do not programme so much in Elisp. Could be the author
> or the maintainer of calendar can help more. Have you read the *info*
> node on Calendar?

Yes, though-- at least in the emacs section of info-- it's not at all
helpful here, focussing on *using* the diary/calendar functions already
available.

>> In an earlier email you mentioned emacs find.  If that would help in
>> this situation, could you point me to documentation of it.  I'd be more
>> than willing to give that a try.
>
> The "grep-find" command (sorry that I did not give the right name
> before!) in GNU Emacs is a young feature. It it in CVS versions of GNU
> Emacs, could be in 21.4 also, but I do not have it. It does a "find .
> -type f" with a grep for some argument(s) in the found files, output is
> put into a buffer with hypertext features, i.e. clicking on the file
> names opens them in another buffer. I ran this command yesterday and
> found diary-entries-list in diary-lib.el. And this seems to be the origin.

Thanks for the clarification.  I'm already quite conversant with grep
and find and other tools available on Linux; plus, I already do so much
in emacs, typically having three or more frames and dozens of files open
simultaneously, that I'd rather perform those functions from the command
line rather than from within emacs.  So if there's no additional benefit
to using grep-find in emacs, it would be more efficient and comfortable
for me to work as I currently do.

Thanks much for your kindness,
ken