global-set-key [tab] doesn't work

From: Robin Wilson
Subject: global-set-key [tab] doesn't work
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 23:51:52 +0100

Hi

I'm sorry to keep asking questions, but I can't seem to find the answers to most of these things elsewhere, and you've been very helpful so far. As I said - after learning all of that hopefully I'll be able to help other people.

Basically in my .emacs file I have the following lines:

(global-set-key [tab] 'indent-or-complete)
(global-set-key [C-z] 'undo)

but neither of these work when used in a buffer. If I type, for example, (def and press TAB it does nothing, but if I do M-x indent-or-complete it completes it to (defun. TAB however does indent properly when used on a blank line. I'm guessing from this that the binding hasn't been set properly - but I'm not sure how I set it properly! I've copied the bindings I've used for Function Keys (F1, F2 etc) and assume it's the same syntax.

The same thing occurs with C-z binding to undo. If I do M-x global-set-key and then press C-z and type undo it works fine.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers,

Robin