Re: Tag based dired?

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: Tag based dired?
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 16:48:12 -0700

Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> Could you give an example of using tag?

I'll guess.

Take mh-e.el for example. Right now, for me, it is in one specific
place on my hard drive, namely, /usr/local/src/emacs/lisp/mh-e/mh-e.el.

I could tag this file with "mail", "emacs", "lisp", "source", "MH-E".
In addition, the lisp files already have a Keywords pseudo-header
field which could be used to automatically tag the files as well.

I could then find this file by specifying any of those tags. I could
limit the number of files I see by specifying more tags.

If you were to use a normal file system, you'd create a directory for
each tag in the system, and create hard links between the directories
for files that share tags.

The major advantage of this system is that it would be easier to
classify and find stuff since you wouldn't have to create--and
remember--a possible arcane path to a file. The disadvantage with this
implementation is that the directories would be huge and unwieldy.

An Emacs interface to this would make it easy to enter tags and to
limit the output to files tagged with those tags.

In the meantime, you might look at locate and locate-with-filter. Why
these functions don't put their output in a dired buffer is beyond me.