Re: xml package for emacs?

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: xml package for emacs?
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 21:06:06 +0200

> What do you suggest as an xml package for emacs?  There seems to be a
> few.  My qualifications are these:

I use psgml.
        http://www.lysator.liu.se/projects/about_psgml.html

> 1. Package is available for gnu emacs on unix and windows.

Yes.

> 2. Takes advantage of color.

Yes.

> 3. Does indenting.

Yes.

> 4. Automatically closes out tag when you do a keystroke to close out
> tag.
>    So, it will automatically insert "</tag>" for you.

Yes.  The command sequence is `C-/'.

> 5. Can move between opening and closing tags,

Yes.  `C-M-a' and `C-M-e' (equivalent to `C-a' and `C-e').

> and move upto enclosing tags.

Yes.  `C-M-u'

> 1,4 and 5 are most important to me.

In addition to the above, psgml is DTD aware and give context
sensitive element insertion and context sensitive attribute insertion
and editing.

However, FWIW my long term plan is to move to nxml, because
 1. it is under active support (or will be, once the maintainer gets
    back to it)
 2. has indirectly support fort for formats that are described with a
    schema rather than a DTD, and a more flexible way of linking the
    schema to a document than using a DOCTYPE

What keeps me from going to nxml, is that
 1. my PSGML setup works for me the way it is
 2. AFAIK nxml doesn't support the `C-c +' command
 3. nxml can edit xhtml, but not old style HTML
...in short: intertia