Re: ISO fast-loading Emacs

From: rncross
Subject: Re: ISO fast-loading Emacs
Date: 26 Apr 2006 02:32:58 -0700

kj wrote:

> One feature of my shell (zsh) that I particularly like is the
> command edit-command-line, which lets one edit the current command
> line in $EDITOR (or $VISUAL).  I'd like to do this with Emacs but
> my current version of Emacs takes so long to load that it is not
> practical for such on-the-fly editing.
>
> All I need is bare-bones Emacs for this.  It would be nice to also
> get syntax highlighting with shell-script-mode, though I'm willing
> to sacrifice this for the sake of speed.
> What should I put in $EDITOR to achieve the fastest loading Emacs?
> Is there an Emacs-lite out there?

Hi,

What I use to speed up my emacs with all my extra packages I use is to
have another 'dumped' version. I have a function that I call with
emacs -batch -l ~/.emacs --funcall rnc_dump_emacs.
That function simply 'requires' my most commonly used code e.g. cc-mode
and then calls dump-emacs: (dump-emacs "emacs-rnc"
"/usr/local/bin/emacs). While this may not be the most elegant or
correct solution :-) it has been working successfully for me with emacs
21.3 for a couple of years. It drops my load time from 8 seconds to
under a second. See also
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/DumpingEmacs

Hope it helps

Nick