Re: Display of text in columns?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Display of text in columns?
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:58:19 +0200

Jim Kalb <kalb@aya.yale.edu> writes:

> "ez" == Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>   >> From: Jim Kalb <kalb@aya.yale.edu> Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 22:55:05
>   >> GMT
>   >>
>   >> I'd like to display several columns of text using emacs, so that
>   >> (for example) if the screen is 120 characters wide, the fill column
>   >> is 60, and I'm using a 2-column display, the text at any point in
>   >> the file would display starting in the first column, reach the
>   >> bottom of the screen, and then continue in the second column.
>   >> Possible? If so, how?
>
>   ez> Is two-column.el what you are looking for?
>
> Don't think so. t-c.el seems to display 2 different buffers. What I'd
> like to do is display a single buffer, but in two columns, so that when
> you get to the end of what fits in the first column the text continues
> in the second.

follow-mode is an interactive autoloaded Lisp function in `follow'.
(follow-mode ARG)

Minor mode that combines windows into one tall virtual window.

The feeling of a "virtual window" has been accomplished by the use
of two major techniques:

* The windows always displays adjacent sections of the buffer.
  This means that whenever one window is moved, all the
  others will follow.  (Hence the name Follow Mode.)

* Should the point (cursor) end up outside a window, another
  window displaying that point is selected, if possible.  This
  makes it possible to walk between windows using normal cursor
  movement commands.

Follow mode comes to its prime when used on a large screen and two
side-by-side window are used. The user can, with the help of Follow
mode, use two full-height windows as though they would have been
one. Imagine yourself editing a large function, or section of text,
and being able to use 144 lines instead of the normal 72... (your
mileage may vary).

To split one large window into two side-by-side windows, the commands
`C-x 3' or `M-x follow-delete-other-windows-and-split' can be used.

Only windows displayed in the same frame follow each-other.

If the variable `follow-intercept-processes' is non-nil, Follow mode
will listen to the output of processes and redisplay accordingly.
(This is the default.)

When Follow mode is switched on, the hook `follow-mode-hook'
is called.  When turned off, `follow-mode-off-hook' is called.

Keys specific to Follow mode:

Uses keymap "follow-mode-map", which is not currently defined.

[back]