Re: Default font and .Xdefaults

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Default font and .Xdefaults
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:36:23 -0600

Tim Johnson wrote:

I've just installed emacs 21.4a with the following version info:

GNU Emacs 21.4.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
On Linux Redhat 9.0

It now appears that the .Xdefaults setting of:

Emacs.default.attributeFont:
-*-Fixed-bold-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-8

Is not being loaded.

Do you mean that it used to?

Does it help to generalize the resource name from
Emacs.default.attributeFont to Emacs*Font?

According to docs, default font is Courier 12pt under X
and that is what I believe that I am seeing, but it is wholly inadequate
for someone of my vision.

Yes, I've bumped mine up to 14 pt.

NOTES: I've "recompiled" .Xdefaults as in xrdb -load ~/.Xdefaults
  Have loaded emacs with -q and -debug-init with no changes or
  complaints.

Questions:
What syntax is needed for .Xdefaults to provide a larger,
bolder font?

I wonder if making the default face bold causes problems?

You might also like to try this utility to confirm what you're seeing:

(defun xfd (&optional xlfd)
  "Run the xfd program.
XLFD defaults to the selected frame's font, or the default face's font."
  (interactive (list (read-string "Font: "
(cons (or (frame-parameter (selected-frame)
                                                             'font)
                                            (face-font 'default))
                                        1))))
  (start-process "xfd" "*Messages*" "xfd"