Re: Line numbers in buffer (non X-windows)

From: Colin S. Miller
Subject: Re: Line numbers in buffer (non X-windows)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 18:33:04 +0100

micotine@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,

Sorry for this oft repeated question but I think I need rather detailed
instructions. I run XEmacs 21.4 (patch 17) Solaris platform (server)
from Windows terminal emulator(Secure CRT).  I have custom.el file in
.xemacs folder which has only one line "(setq minibuffer-max-depth
nil)".

I want to get line numbers (something like "nl") before the text so
that I can make sense of the error messages. I do realize that there
are some packages but I am not sure what to do with them. Should I just
download them and put them in .xemacs folder or what? I would prefer
step but step instructions please.

thanks for assistance,

best,
mico

Mico,

This newsgroup is for FSF Emacs, not (Lucid) XEmacs, which has its own
newsgroup on
comp.emacs.xemacs. I've taken the liberty of replying to that group as well, and
setting the followup-to to c.e.xemacs.

To use a package on XEmacs, you have to place it somewhere XEmacs can access it
from,
and then tell XEmacs where they are. I use ~/.xemacs/packages but ~/.xemacs/
would work just
as well. To tell XEmacs where the packages are, add to your .xemacs/init.el

(add-path '"~/.xemacs/packages")

you'll probably need to add
(require 'package-name)
in init.el to load the package.

BTW,
Both emacsen have line-number-mode, which adds the current line number to the
mode line;
this might be enough for you to orientate yourself.

M-g is goto-line

In XEmacs,
~/.xemacs/init.el is for initialisation code that you have written,
~/.xemacs/custom.el is for code that XEmacs auto-created for you
via the customisation menus.
In FSF Emacs, these are both placed in ~/.emacs

If you have used M-x compile to perform the compile, then pressing
Enter on an error line should take you to the error. If not,
then emacs has to be told how parse the error lines
(it parses compile errors that are in the Unix standard format by default).
If you give an example error somoneone on c.e.xemacs will be able to assist you.

HTH,
Colin S. Miler

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the
hostname to reply.