Exercise 3.12 from Intro to lisp manual

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Exercise 3.12 from Intro to lisp manual
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:53:56 GMT

This is my first take on an answer to this problem. The interpreter says
that 'fill-column is void. It seems to me that that the tutorial hasn't
shown how to make 'fill-column visible to the inside of the function.
Dynamic scoping has been mentioned but nothing spelled out, if I am not
mistaken.

(defun chkfc (width)
 "Compare current fill column width with arbitrary value."
(interactive "p")
 (if (> fill-column width)
    (message "Current fill column width %d is greater than %d."
fill-column, width)
    (message "Current fill column width %d is less than %d." fill-column,
width)))

What else is needed here?

Thanks,

Ed.