Re: SubEthaEdit style networked editing

From: Shug Boabby
Subject: Re: SubEthaEdit style networked editing
Date: 22 Mar 2006 06:45:56 -0800

Stefan wrote:
> The main difficulty might be in ensuring that the changes are seen in the
> same order by every process or to somehow correctly handle the case where
> changes are received in a different order.  But it shouldn't be that hard,
> really, as long as you can assume a reliable and fast enough communication
> between the different machines.

Stephan, that sounds promising! I was worried that Emacs would not be
able to handle it. I am by no means proficient enough in lisp or
networked programming to do this, but it is a feature that is becoming
increasingly more popular. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that once
the support is there, the Emacs devel team will find themselves having
"hackathons" on particular files to completely brainstorm new ideas. It
speeds up collaborative editing by several orders of magnitude and the
only downside is in trying to remember all the changes for the
Changelog! :-)

I think in this day and age, it is fair to assume that there is a
speedy connection between all collaborators.