Re: hiding code between line numbers

From: Marc Tfardy
Subject: Re: hiding code between line numbers
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:09:53 +0100

Ryan Howard schrieb:
I am editing a long program and would like to be able to hide lines 156
to 979.  This would allow me to page up quickly from line 985 and see
variable names created on line 150.  Is there an easy way to do this?

I sometimes split the buffer with Cx-2, but there are cases where I
have multiple sections in the program that I would like to hide just to
allow quicker scrolling.

Any suggestions are welcome.

You could try this package:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-de/hide-region.el

But I use for quic jumps another feature - bookmakrs.
I've definded in my .emacs two pairs of set/jump key bindings:

(global-set-key [\M-f9]
  (lambda () (interactive) (bookmark-set "quick-bookmark-1")))
(global-set-key [f9]
  (lambda () (interactive) (bookmark-jump "quick-bookmark-1")))
(global-set-key [\M-f10]
  (lambda () (interactive) (bookmark-set "quick-bookmark-2")))
(global-set-key [f10]
  (lambda () (interactive) (bookmark-jump "quick-bookmark-2")))

This had one advantages in relation to region hide - you can quickly
jumps over different files and jump points are stored for future
sessions.

regards

Marc