Re: rookie warning Can I search files from dired?

From: pookiebearbottom
Subject: Re: rookie warning Can I search files from dired?
Date: 1 Mar 2006 08:06:51 -0800

bp1497@att.com wrote:
> I have dired showing me all the files in a directory, can I execute
> some kind of search on these files from the dired screen.
>
> I know I can do M-x shell, grep some_thing files.
>
> I've used vim for the last 17 years and have changed jobs.  This
> location does not have vim installed but does have emacs.  I prefer it
> to textedit or vi

Mark the files you want (with m)

Then do dired-do-grep (can just hit E <- note Capital E)

-Sal

PS C-h b is your friend (it lists all of the bindings for your current
mode)
      So is C-h a regex (it will list all of the commands/variables/..
that match that regex.  If you did this with the word grep you would
have found dired-do-grep -  Not preaching here, just hopefully
teaching.  I know what a pain it is to lose your editor)