Re: cvs 22.0.50 + auctex

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: cvs 22.0.50 + auctex
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:51:17 +0200

> From: "B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com>
> Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 05:18:28 GMT
>
> > This is not a good place to report problems and ask questions about
> > the CVS code.  Please write to emacs-devel@gnu.org instead.
>
> Okay, but I'll wait until I learn more.

One doesn't need to learn anything to ask questions and report
problems.  There are no admission exams ;-)

> > And btw, what exactly do you mean by ``the place where I put the C
> > sources''?  Does the variable points to the `src' directory or to its
> > parent?
>
> I added this to .emacs:
>
> (setq source-directory "E:\\emacs\\emacs\\src\\") so it points to the src
> directory itself. I.e., src is at the same level as bin, data, lisp, etc,
> et cetera.

That's your mistake: source-directory should point to the root of the
Emacs tree, i.e. in your case, to E:\emacs\emacs, not to its src
subdirectory.  (Btw, I suggest to use forward slashes, even on
Windows.)

> > > 2) I can't raise the w32 file input dialog box even though
> > >         use-dialog-box
> > >         use-file-dialog
> > > are both set to t (on).
> >
> > This works only if you click File->Open File from the menu bar.  If
> > you type "C-x C-f", Emacs doesn't pop up a file selection dialog
> > because people who type at the keyboard don't like to have to reach
> > for the mouse.
>
> No, on W98 it doesn't work with the mouse either on menu- or toolbar.

It does for me, in XP.  Please report as a bug.

> > > Font dialog box comes up but won't change the font
> >
> > This does work for me, so please report the details (to the address
> > suggested above).
>
> Does that mean that you agree with this reported behavior and that it
> doesn't work for you either?

No, it means that for me it works: I can select a font, and Emacs then
uses the selected font instead of the default.

> That makes sense. I needed arialuni.ttf in order to learn about using
> utf-8 and getting exotic characters from different unicode ranges into the
> same buffer and file. I guess I can live with the empty rectangles as long
> as I'm sure the correct bytes are "underneath" them. But it's nice to have
> some degree of wysiwyg.

Perhaps you can find a non-proportional Unicode font, then.