Re: Setting tab settings?

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: Setting tab settings?
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 22:15:19 -0800 (PST)

Tom> I'm sure this has been covered before, but I'm not finding it right
Tom> now, and I'm hoping someone will give me a nudge in the right
Tom> direction...

Tom> How do you set tab settings for a mode? The version of emacs I'm
Tom> using now (GNUemacs/osx), has the wrong tab settings for what is
Tom> being used at my work, and I don't want to mess up the code base by
Tom> writing code at a different indentation.

In Emacs, tab settings and indentation are two completely orthogonal
topics.

The way you modify indentation depends on the mode - it has to, when
you consider the vast variety of syntaxes.  For C, look at the Info
document "CC Mode", particularly the section "Customizing Indentation".

Tab stops, OTOH, are global; the relevant variables are `tab-width'
and `tab-stop-list'.

Most of the time using tabs is simply a bad idea, I avoid them by
setting `indent-tab-mode' to nil.

--
A true pessimist won't be discouraged by a little success.