Re: how to work with unreliable filesystems?

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: how to work with unreliable filesystems?
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:55:37 +0100

Joakim Verona <joakim@verona.se> writes:

> I have a smb filesystem mounted over a shaky vpn connection.
> Much of the time this works, but if the share hangs for some reason,
> emacs also stops responding, waiting for the share to come back.
>
> I currently solve this by unmounting/remounting the filesystem, but
> its all very inconvenient.
>
> It would be neat if a directory hierarchy could be marked "unstable"
> and using copying instead of direct writes, much as Tramp works.
>
> I guess this would ideally be handled at the os level, but I have
> twiddled mount paramters back and forth to no avail.
>
> Any hints are apreciated.

Perhaps you should use the coda file system.  It's a distributed
shared file system that is able to continue to work in disconnected
mode, and when the servers recover their connectivity, they
synchronize the changes.

http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/

The world will now reboot.  don't bother saving your artefacts.