Re: renaming current file and buffer

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: renaming current file and buffer
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 00:51:25 +0100

> Am 03.01.2006 um 11:16 schrieb Dieter Wilhelm:
>
>>> Doesn't C-x C-w (`write-file') work for you?
>>
>> Agreed, write-file gives me the opportunity for choosing another name
>> (with the corresponding buffer name).  But then I'd have to kill
>> the badly
>> named file in a second step (e.g. in a dired buffer) since the old,
>> now redundant file remains on the file system.
>
> I now remember how I handle this: I rename in dired-mode the file I
> am editing (having it saved before). The buffer name follows this
> change after some time.

Knowing the behaviour of `rename-file' (not changing the buffer name)
I was somehow prejudiced against testing this possibility with
dired. But it actually works, thanks a lot for this hint!

With the standard dired it's a tad slow albeit.  It means getting into
dired (C-x 4 d, lest I don't forget the filename), then looking for
the file (possibly searching with C-s).  This might, just might
justify the hassle of using a home-made function.  But with the
dired-x package - I just discovered - its working like a charm.  Just
typing C-x C-j in the respective buffer is getting one into a dired
buffer with point already at the corresponding file! Then R NEW-NAME
RET RET and here we are again.

Great stuff

--
Best wishes