Re: Icon designer wanted (Aquamacs Emacs)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Icon designer wanted (Aquamacs Emacs)
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 15:15:19 +0100

David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm looking for someone with a knack for producing nice icons. I'd
> like to have new icons for common Emacs toolbars in the Aquamacs
> Emacs project (http://aquamacs.org). The goal is to produce something
> that is visually appealing in the context of modern, GUI based
> operating environments. Icons from GNOME and OS X would be typical
> examples.

Why would someone want to contribute icons to a fork of Emacs (running
only on non-free software) instead of the main line?

> However, the big advantage for us is that we can draw from icons
> used in a variety of other projects. So much of the core work is
> done -- what remains is to find and select the right icons, make
> them look uniform / coherent, draw remaining ones.

It seems a bit out of place to do this work downstream when it seems
more sensible to do this in Emacs itself.

> If you have an interest in graphics, and you would like to
> contribute to a fun open source project, please e-mail me!

Emacs (as well as the GNU project) are labelled "free software" by the
FSF.  It seems a bit out of place to try recruiting people for
improving a fork for a proprietary platform on the official Emacs help
mailing list.

Is there a reason why you don't want to work on improving the icons in
Emacs proper?