Re: faster emacs startup, can I postpone package loading?

From: BRUCE INGALLS
Subject: Re: faster emacs startup, can I postpone package loading?
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 20:12:58 -0500

From: "mitchell_laks"
Date: 2 Jan 2006 12:27:52 -0800

On some of these systems the load process significantly slows down the
boot process. While emacs on some systems is immediately there, here it
can take 4 seconds (gasp).

Now all this is by virtue of Debian packaging adding loads. I did not
really modify the .emacs file too much.

First, you'd have track down, where all the loading is happening.
Perhaps this happens in a file like /usr/share/emacs/site-start/site-init.el

Next, you can try Jari Aalto's tiny-load: http://tiny-tools.sourceforge.net/
It loads packages during idle time. I use it in http://emacro.sourceforge.net/
However, sometimes it seems that interrupting the load stops it.

While it is popular to compare Emacs to vi, I believe that it compares more
to Eclipse or Visual Studio, each of which take at least 4x as long to load :(